- Debut year.
- Three spoke steering wheel with Ford Emblem.
- GT models' stand out with unique front and rear bumpers, and body side molding.
- GL/LX models' tail lights are red/amber with horizontal body colored stripe between brake lights (upper) and turn signals (lower).
- GT models' tail lights are red/amber without horizontal stripe and have a black outline.
- GL models have black side molding.
- LX models have black side molding with red accent stripe.
- GTs have tri-spoke aluminum wheels as standard, while GL and LX get wheel covers as standard. GL and LX have option of web-style aluminum wheels.
- New front bumper for GL/LX models.
- New front and rear bumpers, side molding and ground effects for GT models.
- GL/LX models' tail lights lose horizontal body colored stripe. Lower turn signal is blackened out with five horizontal stripes and changed from amber to red.
- Indent on side view mirrors.
- LX models now come standard with a 3.0-liter V-6.
- LX models lose red accent stripe on body side molding.
- New steering wheel with two spokes and the word 'PROBE'.
- Anti-lock brakes become optional on the LX.
- An automatic transmission becomes available on the GT.
- Restyled front seats for GL and GT. LX gets '89 GT's seats.
- Front seats add automatic shoulder belts with manual lap belts.
- Rear seats belts now lap/shoulder belts.
- Shift Mode switch replaced with Shift Lock Override Button.
- Vehicle Maintenance Monitor 'Low Oil' indicator replaced with 'Deck Ajar'.
- Illuminated power door lock buttons.
- Illuminated visor vanity mirrors on LX, optional on GT.
- New CD player.
- Optional Leather seating on LX & GT.
- GT models get new aluminum wheels.
- LX model gets new wheel covers with option of GT's wheels from previous year.
- LX models' V6 gets 5 more horsepower and 5 more ft/lbs of torque.
- GL/LX models' side molding now matches body color.
- LX gets Sport Option package that includes rear spoiler and aluminum wheels.
- GL's wheel cover changed to LX's from previous year.
- The Probe gets a complete restyling and new engines.
- GT models get body side ground effects.
- LX model is dropped from lineup.
- GL model becomes base model.
- Interior stripe across dashboard follows across doors.
- License plate indent between tail lights.
- Driver's side air bag standard.
- Added options include heated side mirrors, remote keyless entry, anti-thief system, 7-band stereo graphic equalizer, and battery saver. Many convenience options dropped.
- Interior loses stripe on dashboard and doors.
- Air bag added on passenger side as standard.
- New CD4E automatic transaxle for 2.0L engines.
- CFC-free air conditioning.
- The SE Package becomes a trim level.
- GT models get spoiler as standard, optional on base and SE.
- Redesigned rear tail lights.
- GT models receive center reflector with 'GT' logo between tail lights. License plate indent moved down onto bumper.
- GT logo on rear bumper replaced with metal '24V' logo.
- New door trim design includes cloth insert and redesigned handle.
- 7-band stereo graphic equalizer dropped.
- Heated side mirrors dropped, replaced with breakaway/collapsible mirrors.
- Engine block heater optional.
- GT models get new aluminum 16" wheels with option of chrome.
- Base/SE models get new aluminum 15" wheels.
- Base model dropped
- Redesigned spoiler.
- GT's suspension refined.
- Redesigned rear seats with new seat fabric.
- New seat belts with automatic locking retractors
- OBD-II compliant
- Base model returns with GT's front and rear bumpers.
- SE trim level dropped.
- GT logos behind the front wheel wells have new letter styling.
- GTS Sport Appearance Package added to the GT's option list. Includes 16" chrome wheels, GTS logo, and racing stripes.
- New wheel covers for base Probes.
- Side door intrusion beams redesigned to meet 1997 Federal Side Impact Standards