Go Back   Performance Probe Forum > Second Generation Probes (1993-1997) > Maintenance

Maintenance Discuss maintaining and tuning up a second generation Probe here.

Reply Please read Forum Rules Before Posting

Old October 5th, 2004, 9:52 am   #1
Vepo

Vehicle: Ford Probe 2.5 GT -93

Vepo is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

Default Need a new crankshaft position sensor

Does somebody know a good online store where to find crankshaft position sensor for '93 PGT? I mean online store that delivers international orders... I live in Finland and there is no way to find any parts for Probe here I have also searched this part through internet but the stores that had the part does not support international orders

...it all started when I got my PGT's timing belt and water pump changed...
Vepo was last online April 14th, 2005 11:48 am  
Old October 5th, 2004, 2:49 pm   #2
Fastest95PGT

Banned

Vehicle: 95 & 91 Probe GT's

Fastest95PGT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepo
Does somebody know a good online store where to find crankshaft position sensor for '93 PGT? I mean online store that delivers international orders... I live in Finland and there is no way to find any parts for Probe here I have also searched this part through internet but the stores that had the part does not support international orders

...it all started when I got my PGT's timing belt and water pump changed...
How do you know the Crank Position Sensor is bad? Mechanic tell you? On 93/94 there is also one in the distributor. Find out which one they mean, distributor or one by the actual crank pulley, and get back to us.

The one in the disty requires replacing the disty.
Fastest95PGT was last online March 12th, 2005 4:09 pm  
Old October 5th, 2004, 3:30 pm   #3
Vepo

Well, the 'check engine light' was on (after timing belt&water pump change) and id pulled out the error code 2 (crankshaft position sensor #2). Then I took my PGT to the nearest Mazda garage and they pulled the same code (and charged 126€!!! ) They offered to replace the sensor for 400€ but because it went bad after the service in other garage I took it back there...

I calculated that it would be cheaper if I ordered the sensor by my self and let those 'mechanics' who broke it(?) to do the installation.

Or are you saying that the same code (2) will come also if distributor sensor is broke? Maybe I call to the garage and tell them to find out....
Old October 5th, 2004, 4:07 pm   #4
Fastest95PGT

Banned

I forget which Crank code is for which crank sensor. But according to a Ford factory CD, CKPS Sensor 2 is at the crank. That appears to be code 2 (http://www.performanceprobe.com/doit...t.php?app=9325) which you have already pulled.

However, for double check purposes. Clear your codes, unplug this sensor and start the car. Pull your codes again. If all you get is #2 still, then we've confirmed that this is the faulty CKPS.

You might be able to locate it at www.ford-parts.com.
Old October 5th, 2004, 4:28 pm   #5
Vepo

Thank's for the help. The mechanics reinstalled the sensor and error code was still 2.... so I think that it is crank sensor.

I also found some information about those sensors at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mx6-uk/malf/malfcode.htm

Quote from the page (about codes 2 and 3):

Quote:
Code 2: NE2 Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Sensor Purpose:

This sensor sends un-conditioned Hall-effect signals to the PCME that the PCME uses to determine crankshaft angular velocity (RPM). It is typically termed "NE2" or "CKP2". This sensor is located low on the engine, on the accessory-side near the crankshaft pulley. It is nestled in behind the dipstick tube.

Fault Description:

This code indicates that the crankshaft position sensor is not sending crankshaft velocity information to the PCME or the PCME is unable to make use of the signal it is sending.

PCM Fault Control Moding:

When Code 2 is present, the PCM ignores it and instead relies on NE1 for crankshaft speed data. This sensor is located in the distributor. This is not the preferred condition since the timing belt tends to make the RPM signals erratic, affecting the PCMs ability to accurately measure crankshaft speed. NOTE:1995+ GTs do not have an NE1 sensor and will not run when Code 2 is present.
Quote:
Code 3: G Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Sensor Purpose:

This sensor sends conditioned Hall-effect signals to the PCME from within the distributor that the PCME uses to determine when #1 cylinder comes up on top-dead center (TDC). This sensor information is used to phase the sequential firing of the fuel injectors during normal SFI operation. This sensor is also known as a camshaft position sensor or CID sensor. It is a Hall-effect sensor located on the igniter in the distributor and it "fired" by a single-vane "wheel" that turns as the exhaust camshaft on the left (radiator)-side bank rotates.

Fault Description:

This code indicates that the G crankshaft (or camshaft) position sensor is not sending camshaft positional information to the PCME or the PCME is unable to make use of the signal it is sending.

PCME Fault Control Moding:

When Code 3 is present, the PCME stops firing the fuel injectors in sequential mode and instead fires them in a "batch" mode since the PCME does not have any way to know where TDC on #1 is. This results in a slight loss of power and a lowering of the engine's fuel economy

My knowledge about Probes are still very limited but I'm working on it

I'll check that sensor out from ford-parts.com

Thanks!
Old October 5th, 2004, 5:09 pm   #6
Fastest95PGT

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepo
Thank's for the help. The mechanics reinstalled the sensor and error code was still 2.... so I think that it is crank sensor.
Code 2, sounds like it is what I suggested, the one by the crank pulley. But by "reinstalled", doesn't sound like you cleared the codes, unplugged the sensor, then started the car. Pulling the codes again immediately after this would tell you for sure that it was in fact code 2. If you want to try this yourself, the harness is located right by the upper accesory belt tensioner (along the timing belt cover on the side of the engine directly across from the oil fill cap).

Let me know how it works out.

Quote:
I also found some information about those sensors at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mx6-uk/malf/malfcode.htm
Thanks for the link. I like that page a lot and will use it from now on. That used to be Mike94PGT's page from MX-6.com but he removed it recently. Glad someone posted it up elsewhere. The PP one is fine, but not easily bookmakred by the non-computer savy.
Old October 14th, 2004, 5:49 pm   #7
Vepo

I finally got my Probe back I took over a week to get that sensor... But now it works fine, no more check engine lights. So the old crank sensor was broken.
Old October 14th, 2004, 6:01 pm   #8
Boo_Guy

Boo_Guy is Male     Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 92 Toyota Celica GT4

Boo_Guy is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 7 (100%)

The sensors in these cars are more trouble than they are worth, if they are going to install parts to keep an eye on internals they should really do a better job at it.... but then no one would make money i guess...

1994 Wild Orchid GT

Boo_Guy was last online April 10th, 2014 4:48 pm