Go Back   Performance Probe Forum > Second Generation Probes (1993-1997) > Upgrading

Upgrading Post messages involving upgrading and modifying the second generation Probe.

Reply Please read Forum Rules Before Posting

Old August 16th, 2004, 8:23 pm   #1
pyrosage

Princess of the Probe
(AKA Kristina)

pyrosage is Female     Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 2008 Mercedes C300

pyrosage will become famous soon enough

Trader Rating: 2 (100%)

View pyrosage's Garage
Question Replacing Dash Pad

My current dash is so cracked from sitting in the sun for almost 3 years that I've decided to remove the pad/vinyl and replace it. I found a '93 PGT in a salvage yard and the dash only has one crack along a crease thats about 3/4 of an inch long, thats it. It's in great condition and is grey/black, my current is royal blue/black. Anyways, he priced the pad/vinyl for me for $50, so I'm definitely going for it..

I'm not sure how installation will be, I'm pretty sure there are just 4 screws around the instrument cluster and probably some along the glovebox/stereo and vent bezel and some by the windshield..

If anyone has removed the dash pad and knows of any tips that could make this go a bit easier, like location of screws, certain things NOT to do, etc. Let me know! Also, I will post plenty of pics as soon as I go to purchase the dash pad. (Probably Wednesday or so, MAYBE even tonight. )

Thanks.
My Past Loves (In order of owning them, most recent first): 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor- Silver, 2000 Lexus GS- Millenium Silver, 1999 Honda Civic- Silver, 1996 MX-6 M-Edition- Purple, 1994 MX-6 LS- Hunter Green, 1993 Probe GT- Bimini Blue.

Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.
Thomas Jefferson
pyrosage was last online September 14th, 2010 1:01 pm  
Old August 16th, 2004, 8:25 pm   #2
pyrosage

Princess of the Probe
(AKA Kristina)

View pyrosage's Garage

Also, I purchased some a black vent to replace my current white vent on the drivers' side.. The cup holder types that are in the door panels (2) got all three pieces for $5. Not bad.

She's coming along and I have only had her 23 hours!
My Past Loves (In order of owning them, most recent first): 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor- Silver, 2000 Lexus GS- Millenium Silver, 1999 Honda Civic- Silver, 1996 MX-6 M-Edition- Purple, 1994 MX-6 LS- Hunter Green, 1993 Probe GT- Bimini Blue.

Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.
Thomas Jefferson
Old August 23rd, 2004, 9:11 pm   #3
ladylocs

ladylocs is Female     Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: Ford Probe 96 GT

ladylocs is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

View ladylocs's Garage

So Pyro, where do I get new vents...mine are broken (the flaps). I want to replace the driver and passenger side vents and the vents in the middle...once I post pictures...I'm sure I'll give a better pic for what I'm trying to do.
ladylocs was last online May 7th, 2009 2:30 pm  
Old August 23rd, 2004, 9:17 pm   #4
probejr

Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 86 samurai, 02 eclipse

probejr is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 4 (100%)

View probejr's Garage

use your new dash pad as a cheat sheet, to tell you where the screws are, also might help to get a panel removal tool from snapon or something of the likes.

u already know but reamphizing the importance of being careful around your airbag.

only other tip is , dont be afraid to take EVERYTHING apart. if thats what it takes to put in on properly do it, you wont regret it, taking it apart is long and tedious but in the end you'll be happy u did it the right way
probejr was last online December 30th, 2013 11:57 pm  
Old August 23rd, 2004, 9:37 pm   #5
pyrosage

Princess of the Probe
(AKA Kristina)

View pyrosage's Garage
Talking

We removed the new dash last week. It's not a dash PAD but the ENTIRE DASH.

I expected it to be like a pad or something..

But, now I'm just waiting to remove the old and put in the new one.. Got to wait on my brother though, because its like a brother-sister project type of thing.

Ladylocs, if you can't find any cups where you live, let me know and I can pick some up for you from the salvage yard and you just send me the money for them.

Thomas Jefferson
Old August 23rd, 2004, 9:48 pm   #6
RoadZombie

Enthusiast

RoadZombie is Male     Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 93 Probe GT

RoadZombie is on a distinguished road

Cup holders in a Probe? Sacrelidge! Scalding your inner thigh with hot coffee or freezing the same area is part of the Probe experience! LoL

On a serious note, are these just a 2nd gen thing or are they universal? Wouldn't mind gettin a couple for mine...I can sorta stuff most drinks between the seat and door panel, but the g/f is always complaining about my lack of cup holders and what works on the drivers side just doesn't work as well on the passenger side. Post some pics of em. If they are 2nd gen only, I might be able to come up with a way to modify them to work for me.

I'm as strong as a thousand armys
I'm as soft as a pedal on a long stem rose
I am love

"Don't Take Me For Granted" - Social Distortion

1993 Probe GT - NGK Wireset~NGK Vpower plugs (Mazda spec)~CAI~Black painted stock GT wheels~Dealer option 3pc. spoiler~gutted cat.

1989 Probe GT- NGK Wireset~NGK Iridium IX plugs~Accel SuperStock coil~VAF mounted conical filter~AutoMeter Sport-Comp 2 5/8" Boost/Vac gauge, cup mounted~3 inch custom turbo back open exhaust with DynoMax Turbo muffler~Power window/Power lock upgrade...dead Sold to Adlorin

All I can say is thank you Ohio (I love you all like brothers) - Speedracer
RoadZombie was last online August 28th, 2008 2:41 am  
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:45 pm   #7
pyrosage

Princess of the Probe
(AKA Kristina)

View pyrosage's Garage
Talking

Oops.

She said "VENTS" I thought she meant the little cup-like things in the door panels that you use to pull the door closed.

I only have ONE cupholder in my Probe and it doubles as an arm-rest.. The cupholder is INSIDE the arm-rest.. Meaning, you can only use it when you're not driving.

Sorry for the confusion, Road.

Thomas Jefferson
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:12 pm   #8
RoadZombie

Enthusiast

Bah Sounded like you were talking about some sorta cup holder in the door or hanging off the vent... Back to the drawing board

I am love

1993 Probe GT - NGK Wireset~NGK Vpower plugs (Mazda spec)~CAI~Black painted stock GT wheels~Dealer option 3pc. spoiler~gutted cat.

1989 Probe GT- NGK Wireset~NGK Iridium IX plugs~Accel SuperStock coil~VAF mounted conical filter~AutoMeter Sport-Comp 2 5/8" Boost/Vac gauge, cup mounted~3 inch custom turbo back open exhaust with DynoMax Turbo muffler~Power window/Power lock upgrade...dead Sold to Adlorin

Old August 24th, 2004, 12:02 am   #9
fun91

New Member (Unconfirmed)

Vehicle: 91 2.2l, 2 1/4 exhaust piping - no cat, pcv mods, blaster 2 coil, Taylor wires, K&N

fun91 is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 1 (100%)

I rest my coffee cup in the ashtray opening. Not an ideal cupholder by any means but for the most part it works as long as you grab onto the cup when accellerating or cornering. Many times over the years it has fallen off spilling hot coffee on my pant leg and all over the carpet making a roadside cleanup necessary. I have also tried the holders you clip on to your vent but had no luck keeping them in place. So, if anyone comes up with a solution please post it.
fun91 was last online October 27th, 2007 4:37 am  
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:30 am   #10
ZZProbe

Established Member

Vehicle: 1996 Probe SE

ZZProbe is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

View ZZProbe's Garage

i think i saw somewhere on this site how steve had added cupholders.

former MI, current FL
represent
ZZProbe was last online January 25th, 2007 12:54 am  
Old August 24th, 2004, 1:33 am   #11
pyrosage

Princess of the Probe
(AKA Kristina)

View pyrosage's Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZProbe
i think i saw somewhere on this site how steve had added cupholders.
He did a Taurus cup holder conversion.

Thomas Jefferson
Old August 24th, 2004, 2:41 am   #12
RoadZombie

Enthusiast

Have a working CD player in mine...not an option at this time. Otherwise, woulda done it already

I am love

Old August 24th, 2004, 3:22 am   #13
Robert 89 PGT

Junior Aficionado

Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 89PGT, 05 G35 6MT coupe

Robert 89 PGT is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 7 (89%)

View Robert 89 PGT's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadZombie
Cup holders in a Probe? Sacrelidge! Scalding your inner thigh with hot coffee or freezing the same area is part of the Probe experience! LoL

On a serious note, are these just a 2nd gen thing or are they universal? Wouldn't mind gettin a couple for mine...I can sorta stuff most drinks between the seat and door panel, but the g/f is always complaining about my lack of cup holders and what works on the drivers side just doesn't work as well on the passenger side. Post some pics of em. If they are 2nd gen only, I might be able to come up with a way to modify them to work for me.
dude.. i got the perfect solution.. (its where i put my cups anyways) between the center console (by the ebrake) and the passenger seat.. i never had a drink fall out on me yet..
Robert 89 PGT was last online December 25th, 2007 1:55 am  
Old August 24th, 2004, 3:28 pm   #14
RoadZombie

Enthusiast

I prefer exiting my car looking like I had a bladder related mishap personally. People tend to leave you the hell alone when it looks like you just pissed your pants. LoL Actually, can't remember who it was that posted a pic of a cup holder that holds on the center console under the armrest with double sided sticky tape...I'm probably just gunna go that route.

I am love

Old August 24th, 2004, 4:04 pm   #15
Robert 89 PGT

Junior Aficionado

Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 89PGT, 05 G35 6MT coupe

Robert 89 PGT is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 7 (89%)

View Robert 89 PGT's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadZombie
I prefer exiting my car looking like I had a bladder related mishap personally. People tend to leave you the hell alone when it looks like you just pissed your pants. LoL Actually, can't remember who it was that posted a pic of a cup holder that holds on the center console under the armrest with double sided sticky tape...I'm probably just gunna go that route.
well, bein that im always lookin out for ladies that wouldnt blow over 2 kool.. but yea, i remember the one that goes under the armrest, ill probly do that 2.. but the pass seat/center console works fine for now..
Robert 89 PGT was last online December 25th, 2007 1:55 am