Go Back   Performance Probe Forum > First Generation Probes (1989-1992) > Maintenance

Maintenance Discuss maintaining and tuning up a first generation Probe here.

Reply Please read Forum Rules Before Posting

Old February 12th, 2012, 4:56 pm   #1
andyvegan

andyvegan is Male     Hot Topic Group Member SOPOC Member
Southern Probe Owners Club 

Vehicle: 88 MX6 GT

andyvegan is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 16 (100%)

Default how much should a shop charge to replace wheel cylinder and possibly brake shoes?

any mechanics here? i asked this on another forum and didn't get an answer.
andyvegan was last online Today 6:20 am  
Old February 12th, 2012, 5:29 pm   #2
loki34

loki34 is Male     

Vehicle: Probe GT Mazda Miata

loki34 is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 1 (100%)

Hard question to answer due to many variables. If your talking about just the labor then total time on the job should be 1.5 hours or less, assuming no major problems are found. If your looking for total cost that will be harder to figure. Not knowing the mark-up in your area nor if the drums will be any good or not makes that estimate harder to astimate.

Don't bother going to a parts and finding out the cost of the parts because all shops mark up the prices to make some money. Some shops mark up more than others so it pays to ask around. A good parts store can steer you towards the better shops around so it won't hurt to ask.
loki34 was last online November 24th, 2012 4:43 pm  
Old February 12th, 2012, 5:31 pm   #3
daweb

Hot Topic Group Member 

daweb will become famous soon enough

Trader Rating: 10 (100%)

it all depends on where you live labor prices are differant everywhere, why not save a bunch of money and do it yourself it's not hard
daweb was last online May 27th, 2014 5:01 am  
Old February 12th, 2012, 5:43 pm   #4
SALEEN961

Enthusiast
SALEEN961 is Male     

Vehicle: 1989 Probe GL

SALEEN961 has a spectacular aura aboutSALEEN961 has a spectacular aura aboutSALEEN961 has a spectacular aura about

Trader Rating: 31 (100%)

View SALEEN961's Garage

Labor rates vary greatly from one area to another but you shouldn't get charged more then 2 hours labor in my opinion which in my area would be $160-$240 for labor plus about $75 for parts if your just replacing the wheel cylinders and shoes, or $375 in parts for a full rear brake job.

You could easily do the job yourself and replace the shoes and both wheel cylinders for under $75 or for under $225 if you wanted to do a full rear brake job.
SALEEN961 was last online March 3rd, 2014 3:36 am  
Old February 12th, 2012, 9:09 pm   #5
andyvegan

well two shops quoted me right near 300 for just the cylinders and brake shoes and labor, both sides. i found one shop that i'm bringing the car to tomorrow morning that said it'd be at most 215 and 60 less if the shoes aren't bad. reasonable?
Old February 12th, 2012, 9:15 pm   #6
SALEEN961

Enthusiast
SALEEN961 is Male     

SALEEN961 has a spectacular aura aboutSALEEN961 has a spectacular aura aboutSALEEN961 has a spectacular aura about

View SALEEN961's Garage

I'd be a little leery of the shop that only wants $215 when the other two shops quoted you around $300, out of curiosity why are you taking it to a shop anyway, brakes are usually one of the first things people start messing with when they start out working on cars.
Old February 12th, 2012, 9:21 pm   #7
d0zxmustang

Aficionado
d0zxmustang is Male     Hot Topic Group Member SOPOC Member

Vehicle: 70 Mustang 89 PGL 89 PGT 02 VW Passat V6

d0zxmustang has a spectacular aura aboutd0zxmustang has a spectacular aura about

Trader Rating: 58 (98%)

View d0zxmustang's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN961 View Post
I'd be a little leery of the shop that only wants $215 when the other two shops quoted you around $300, out of curiosity why are you taking it to a shop anyway, brakes are usually one of the first things people start messing with when they start out working on cars.
Drum brakes can be scary for some people their first time seeing them. Two shoes with lots of springs criss-srossed, and the fact if you screw it up, you could die lol.

But yes brakes are easy to replace and cheap if you do it yourself. Can be done with basic hand tools. If its your first time I would recommend only doing one wheel at a time, that way you can reference how things go back together just by walking to the other side of the car.
d0zxmustang was last online Yesterday 3:38 pm  
Old February 12th, 2012, 9:59 pm   #8
andyvegan

well i work 6 days a week, i work during the day, i have one car for transportation. i could do it on sunday which is the only day off i have but if i don't figure it out that day then i'm screwed for the entire week....unless i brought it to a shop that is guaranteed to be able to figure it out.

i've looked at the manual and saw that it wasn't that tough of a job. i've replaced half of my engine and pretty much everything else in the engine bay as well. i would prefer to leave the brakes to someone else though, i can have it done while i'm at work since the shop is a block away, just to get the job done perfect ya know?
Old February 13th, 2012, 2:02 am   #9
bryan_johnson

bryan_johnson is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 2 (100%)

The shop can always screw it up too, but it's a safer bet. They have parts delivered to them, unlike us who have to have a way to get to the store when they need another part to get the car running :-)

I'm guessing you are either having some rear brake lockup on one wheel, or brake fluid dripping out of the drum? It's probably a 50/50 chance on the pads being saturated with brake fluid. I'd plan on replacing both wheel cylinders unless you know the good one is much newer.

Given local labor rates and parts costs anything in the range of $200-300 is reasonable in this area (I work in GSO). Some shops may choose to not replace the spring hardware and use less expensive pads. Other shops (mostly chain shops) have a "shop consumables" fee as well and is usually some percentage of the parts+labor quote, regardless of how many cans of brake cleaner or shop rags they actually use for a job.
bryan_johnson was last online October 26th, 2013 4:33 am  
Old February 13th, 2012, 2:24 am   #10
SALEEN961

Enthusiast
SALEEN961 is Male     

View SALEEN961's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_johnson View Post
They have parts delivered to them, unlike us who have to have a way to get to the store when they need another part to get the car running :-)
You need to make friends at your local parts stores, they'll deliver to you if they know you and like you, plus it doesn't hurt if you tip the parts runners
Old February 13th, 2012, 2:29 am   #11
andyvegan

well i recently moved from the greensboro area to charlotte, i had a hookup with a mechanic in that area. i don't think driving there to get this fixed is a good idea though haha.
Old February 13th, 2012, 2:40 am   #12
SALEEN961

Enthusiast
SALEEN961 is Male     

View SALEEN961's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvegan View Post
well i recently moved from the greensboro area to charlotte, i had a hookup with a mechanic in that area. i don't think driving there to get this fixed is a good idea though haha.
I'd tell you what I've driven around with/without but I really shouldn't start encouraging people to do some of the interesting things I've done when I didn't have the time, money, tools, or space to fix something right away.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 6:32 am   #13
probe-lx

probe-lx is Male     COPOC Member
Colorado Probe Owners Club 

Vehicle: 90 probe lx

probe-lx is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN961 View Post
I'd tell you what I've driven around with/without but I really shouldn't start encouraging people to do some of the interesting things I've done when I didn't have the time, money, tools, or space to fix something right away.
lmao. ive done some crazy shit cause im broke ass white guy. i agree not good to recommend any of it
probe-lx was last online August 11th, 2012 9:12 am  
Old February 22nd, 2012, 6:41 am   #14
Tracker_zr2

Intermediate Member

Tracker_zr2 is Male     Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 91 PGL / 90 PLX

Tracker_zr2 is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 11 (100%)

View Tracker_zr2's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvegan View Post
i asked this on another forum and didn't get an answer.
Average shop rate for a mechanic at an authorized normal domestic dealer 60-70 bucks and hour. then each ACT Of Service is calculated by said authorized dealer to charge so much time, + Parts.

2 Hrs shop rate and parts would be a reall good estimate.
Tracker_zr2 was last online February 15th, 2013 2:59 am