Go Back   Performance Probe Forum > Second Generation Probes (1993-1997) > Buy, Sell, & Trade

Buy, Sell, & Trade Whether you're looking to get something for your second generation Probe, or get rid of something, this forum is for posting your requests and offers.

Reply Please read Forum Rules Before Posting

Old March 20th, 2011, 12:44 am   #1
foutchj

foutchj is Male     

Vehicle: 94 GT

foutchj is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 1 (100%)

Default Window regulator ROLLERS

Does anyone have a solution for broken rollers that fit inside the window regulator tracks? These seem to be a common problem (at least on my car). Ive googled around but nothing yet. Bought some used hardware on ebay only to find the rollers cracked as well. Im thinking about making a mold of one of my good ones then trying to pour some with JB weld. Anyone have any ideas? Why the hell didnt they make these this removeable?
foutchj was last online May 11th, 2012 10:45 pm  
Old March 20th, 2011, 8:23 pm   #2
madman91

madman91 is on a distinguished road

i really hope someone can answer this for you. im in the same boat
madman91 was last online May 6th, 2011 7:53 pm  
Old March 21st, 2011, 3:16 am   #3
97gt

97gt is Male     Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 2007 Grand Marquis, 91 GMC C1500

97gt is an unknown quantity at this point

Trader Rating: 4 (83%)

Replace the regulator. Fastest and easiest solution
97gt was last online July 9th, 2014 1:27 pm  
Old March 23rd, 2011, 2:07 am   #4
madman91

anyone know an affordable place to get some regulators?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 4:04 am   #5
the_bean_21

the_bean_21 is Male     WCPOC Member
West Coast Probe Owners Club 

Vehicle: 93 ford probe gt

the_bean_21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

View the_bean_21's Garage

i just paid ten bucks for my passenger regulater form a local treasure yard. there are 5 probes 3 mx6's and 2 626's in it right now. if its not raining i'll check them for you guys this weekend.
the_bean_21 was last online February 28th, 2012 11:17 pm  
Old March 26th, 2011, 6:27 pm   #6
foutchj

foutchj is Male     

Sorry, Im a father of 5. Its baseball season. Three kids playing ball, and two in gymnastics. I dont really have the cash to buy new regulators. ***** I got some steel putty and made a mold of my one good roller. Grease the roller slightly and pre slit the mold before it hardens to make it easy to get off the roller. Once the mold is hard, take it off and then wrap tape around it to hold the two pieces together. Use a Dremel tool or knife to cut off any imperfections. Grease the inside of the mold, place over the roller stud and pour in JB Weld. Of course if you make more than one mold you can decrease the wait time needed for the JB to harden. Now file down to fit inside track. I had an extra track so it was easy to check. Im about to reassmble everything. Ill give updates on how it goes. Later.
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:15 pm   #7
madman91

wow, thats a clever fix. let me know if it works
Old March 27th, 2011, 3:23 am   #8
foutchj

foutchj is Male     

So far so good! Only concern I have is that they don't actually roll. The window works great and alignment is perfect now that I have 4 rollers instead of 2. If they fail me Ill post back, otherwise I am a satisfied with the fix. Hey the_bean_21 if you find some and want to sell them let me know. Just in case.
Old March 29th, 2011, 1:27 am   #9
madman91

hey the bean 21, did you have any luck at the junk yard?
Old December 16th, 2011, 1:16 am   #10
foutchj

foutchj is Male     

Cool Still Rolling!

Just dropped in to say that its been 9 months and still good! May have to do the other side, since it sounds awful. I saved my mold, and I'm going to use it again. Later!
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:37 pm   #11
Probenstein

Vehicle: 94 Probe GT

Probenstein is on a distinguished road

I just got through attempting to isolate the problem with my drivers side window and found the same thing... all four rollers (two green and two black ones?) just shattered into pieces. Found parts of them laying on the inside bottom of the door.

Other than attempting to find/buy another regulator (which seems ridiculous seeing as how it's just some cheap rollers that need replacing), and going out to a junkyard to find those in pieces too, does anyone know if these rollers can be found anywhere?

I found one mazda webpage where a guy fashioned some of these rollers out of nylon furniture sliders he bought at a hardware store, just having to do slight modification. Guess I may go that route unless anyone knows where the rollers can be obtained. (Yeah, I know, good luck with that, right?)

This sounds like it'd be a good business to go into.
Probenstein was last online February 18th, 2014 10:11 pm  
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:06 pm   #12
Probenstein

Vehicle: 94 Probe GT

Probenstein is on a distinguished road

Okay, in case anyone wants another way to do this...
Basically I followed the way this Mazda owner did it (with photos) on this link -
http://mazda626.net/topic/41278-how-...slidesrollers/

And, by the way, the actual window regulator has nothing to do with the issue. It's the rollers that are attached to the two brackets on the window that are the problem. In my case they were basically falling apart.

Here are specific measurements you'll be dealing with:
The new rollers/(nylon furniture glides) - 1-1/8" diameter (about 5/16" wide)
The rivets on the window brackets where the rollers will be installed - head diameter is 1/2" (about 1/32" depth), and the rivet axle is 5/16" wide, with the height of the rivet 1/2".

Essentially this is what I did: I bought the 1-1/8" nylon furniture glides that come with a nail that you'll need to punch out. Best way to do this is to find the center of the glide and drill a 1/16" hole (you don't want this any bigger if you want to countersink with a forstner bit because the starter hole for the forstner bit needs to be fairly small or it won't be centered) to the head of the nail. Turn the glide over and knock the nail out. Then I used a 7/16" forstner bit to drill a countersink/flat hole (about 1/32" deep) for the rivet head to sit flush (7/16" is going to be the diameter of the rivet head after you grind/file it down - because it'll need to be filed down to make it easier to get the glide/roller on; as is illustrated in the link above).

I used a small grinder wheel attachment that fits a standard 3/8" drill to grind the rivet head to size. Try to focus not only on diameter but also the top edge (round it off to make pressing the roller on easier).

In the link above he drills a 3/8" hole for each roller. I went with 11/32", but with nylon it's probably not that big of a deal. 3/8" would make it a lot easier to press the roller over the 7/16" diameter rivet head, but make sure you don't go any larger than that (so the roller will stay on when you're done).
He used brass washers for the spacers under the roller; I decided to go with nylon washers at 3/8" hole/5/8" diameter (the width - a LOT easier to install the thinner they are - I used a couple of 1/32" thickness washers and one 1/16" washer = the 1/8" spacer needed below the roller).

As he states in the link, he used channel lock pliers to press the rollers on, and this is definitely the best method. I smeared some grease on to kind of help it along.
Probenstein was last online February 18th, 2014 10:11 pm