Go Back   Performance Probe Forum > Second Generation Probes (1993-1997) > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Ask questions concerning problems with a second generation Probe.

Reply Please read Forum Rules Before Posting

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:54 pm   #1
FBetter

FBetter is Male     

Vehicle: 1993 Probe SE 2.0 L 4 cylinder

FBetter is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

Default 1993 Probe 2.0L 4 Cyl. SE - Fan won't shut off

I've got a 1993 Probe SE with 2.0L 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission. The cooling fan won't shut off unless you pull out the relay.
This has been killing the battery. Also the alternator froze up and burned off it's belt, so the battery wasn't getting recharged either.

I am replacing the alternator and belts, as soon a I'm done posting. The battery is new and recharged today, and has been tested as good and will hold a charge.

A friend, (he's been a mechanic in the past, but he's not really a Ford guy), suggested that the air conditioning system could be undercharged and that could be setting it off. I think there must be a bad switch somewhere. Anyone else have an issue like this? Any suggestions?

The car is basically stock - other than some amateur installed, after-market alarm system that doesn't work anymore. I plan to remove that mess tonight as well. Could the past owner idiots have screwed up the wiring with their hack job alarm install? Any suggestion would be helpful...
FBetter was last online June 29th, 2010 6:42 pm  
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:59 pm   #2
speedracer

speedracer is Male     Hot Topic Group Member NEPO Member
North East Probe Owners 

Vehicle: 89PGT, 03 Cobra, and a 89F-SUPERDUTY wif 460 power

speedracer will become famous soon enoughspeedracer will become famous soon enough

Trader Rating: 16 (100%)

Are there any wires off any of the coolant sensors... Sensors without wires going to them?
speedracer was last online August 18th, 2013 11:08 pm  
Old June 20th, 2010, 2:41 am   #3
Fenix22

Intermediate Member

Fenix22 is Male     

Vehicle: 96 Ford Probe SE, 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Fenix22 is on a distinguished road

View Fenix22's Garage

I believe the thermostat signals sent to the ECU controls when to turn on the fan or not. It's designed to (this is just an example) to turn on at let's say 210 degrees, and then turn off at 198 degrees, as an example.
With that, if you simply cant get it to turn off, then there's always the option to put a switch in the interior to turn it on and off. that's our redneck way of doing it where i come from lol
In addition to lots & lots of modifications

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
-- Undergoing total reconstruction, inside-out --
- Build Thread & Pics Here -
Simply a lot of mods..

1991 Dodge Stealth ES
Engine rebuilt & running like a champ. 56k miles
Fenix22 was last online October 25th, 2011 4:29 pm  
Old June 20th, 2010, 9:46 pm   #4
COYOTE.PROBE

Intermediate Member

COYOTE.PROBE is Male     Hot Topic Group Member FLAPOC Member
Florida Probe Owners Club SOPOC Member
Southern Probe Owners Club 

Vehicle: 88 Silverado; 91 Volvo 240 sedan; 2011 Kia Soul!(aka rat mobile);94 PSE Circle Track Car; 97 PSE Car

COYOTE.PROBE is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 1 (100%)

Check the power steering wires.. If the wires to the pump are damaged it will run constant..

97 PROBE SE CIRCLE TRACK CAR

95 PROBE SE CIRCLE TRACK CAR
COYOTE.PROBE was last online August 10th, 2013 1:54 am  
Old June 20th, 2010, 9:56 pm   #5
-93ProbeGT-

-93ProbeGT- is Male     Hot Topic Group Member 

Vehicle: 93 Ford Probe GT

-93ProbeGT- is an unknown quantity at this point

View -93ProbeGT-'s Garage

I'm just not seeing how the cooling fan would run all the time due to wires connected with the power steering lol it don't make any since at all really for the cooling fan to stay on due to the power steering connections lmao
-|Previous Ridez|-
83 Nissan 280ZX - 2.8 Liter - 5-Speed
95 Ford Probe GT - 2.5 Liter - 5-Speed
93 Ford Probe GT - 2.5 Liter - Auto
74 Ford Maverick - Highly Modded 302 - Auto
72 Ford Maverick - Slightly Modded 400 Small Block - Auto
87 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta - 305 - Auto
92 Mazda 626 - Don't Remember - Auto
-93ProbeGT- was last online July 17th, 2010 6:58 pm  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 5:49 am   #6
FBetter

FBetter is Male     

Thumbs down Updated information

Me again...
Here's the latest update. Got the car running Saturday night. Backed it out of the shop and the fan was still constantly running. So, I pulled the fuse under the hood while I went in to clean up. [What I did while it was in the shop was: oil change with filter; new air filter; replaced the alternator; replaced the alternator belt; checked air pressure; checked brakes; freed the seized right rear wheel hub so the wheel now turns :-) ; and removed the remnants of the piece of crap alarm install.]

Came back out, started it up, put the fuse back in and drove it a couple of miles to the nearest gas station for a bottle of injector cleaner and a fill up. Ran rough and chugged some, but it's been parked and having problems for months. After the fill up, I drove around for about twelve miles. It ran better and better the farther I drove it and everything seem to be working. Came back and parked it and THE FAN WAS NOT RUNNING. I thought it cured itself by getting the "cobwebs" out of her...

Took her for another ride on Sunday afternoon. Ran great the whole time. Really thought I was in the clear. Came back to the house so the wife could grab a list off of the desk we needed. Left it running at an idle with the air conditioning still running in the driveway. Was parked maybe five minutes. The car over-heated and started boiling coolant out the radiator cap and overflow tube. I shut her down immediately and then I noticed that the cooling fan that wouldn't shut off before was now NOT RUNNING, even though the car was boiling! Let it cool off for a while and parked it until today.

Today I ran back to Autozone and bought a new thermostat and coolant temperature sensor switch and installed both. Filled the coolant back up and let it idle in her parking space for a while to get it back up to temperature. Fan still does not come on and I pegged the red line on the temperature gauge again. >:-(

What's next guys and girls?!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 5:53 am   #7
FBetter

FBetter is Male     

Oh, and there are no damaged wires or loose wires or unconnected wires that I have found. I haven't run jumpers to test the fan off of the battery yet... I'll check that tomorrow to make sure the fan isn't just burned out. I guess my real questions is: What other components are in the loop? What else tells the fan when to turn on and off?
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:31 pm   #8
Zeddy

Zeddy is Male     

Vehicle: 97 Probe SV(GT) 2.5L

Zeddy is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 1 (100%)

A few months back after returning home from work I could smell quite an acrid stench arising from under my bonnet. Peering in, I could tell that my fan motor had suddenly burnt out, and my low-speed fan had seized up (had the A/C on the whole way home, but the temp gauge never moved off half and there was no overflow from the radiator) - luckily no further damage was done. I took it in to get repaired - the guys at Ford put in a new hi and low speed fan set, bench tested them and they were fine - once they were installed in my probe they didn't switch on. Traced it back to the coolant temp switch, and found there was no signal moving past it - once all the wiring and sensor was replaced the fans have never skipped a beat. It's strange that your fan won't start after replacing the thermostat and coolant temp sensor - I really thought that would have fixed your problem! I'm not sure on what else it could be...
Zeddy was last online April 30th, 2011 8:27 am  
Old June 25th, 2010, 7:22 pm   #9
FBetter

FBetter is Male     

Cool Latest update

Okay, here is the latest.

I think I have it 90% fixed. It just so happens that I have two 1993 Probe SE 2.0L 4 cylinder cars sitting next to each other... when I joined Performance Probe back in 1996 I was working on the green one, it has been sitting for about a year and a half and has been officailly demoted to 'parts car' for the recently acquired red one! ;-)

Last night I finally had a chance to jumper wire the fan directly from the battery. As I suspected, it whirred to life on both sides of the plug.

So, I swapped some relays and filled the coolant back up last night and took it for a test drive. Drove it for almost thirty miles in all conditions and speeds with and without the airconditioning running. The temperature gauge is showing it running a lot warmer than I would like. Near the top of the normal section the whole time, (from 75% to 90%). But, It never overheated and the fan did appear to be running!

Now I suspect it might just need a good power flush and refill of the coolant system. If that doesn't bring the temperature down, then I think maybe it will be time to tackle the water pump. Am I missing anything else I should try or notice?