Go Back   Performance Probe Forum > Second Generation Probes (1993-1997) > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Ask questions concerning problems with a second generation Probe.

Reply Please read Forum Rules Before Posting

Old May 7th, 2010, 3:22 am   #1
facemeltersteve

facemeltersteve is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

Default 96' ford probe turns, but won't start

My 96' Ford Probe SE turns over, but won't start. I got it to start once just after trying to start it after around 6 times and it just randomly started, but then I stalled it going into first because i wasn't use to the new clutch i put in. Since it stalled it won't start again. It just turns, but doesn't start. oh yeah the battery is dead so i've been using a battery charger that also works as jumper cables. Why won't it start?
facemeltersteve was last online May 7th, 2010 5:22 am  
Old May 7th, 2010, 3:39 am   #2
csoehn

Elite Aficionado

csoehn is Male     

Vehicle: 91 PGT, 89 PGT

csoehn is a jewel in the roughcsoehn is a jewel in the roughcsoehn is a jewel in the rough

Trader Rating: 75 (100%)

View csoehn's Garage

ignitor shot in the disty? i know its a common failure in the 2.5L, not sure if the 2.0 has the same common problem
csoehn was last online Today 5:38 pm  
Old May 7th, 2010, 8:08 pm   #3
95probegt17

95probegt17 is Male     

Vehicle: 94 Probe GT

95probegt17 is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (50%)

View 95probegt17's Garage

my 94 probe gt with the 2.5l had the same thing i swapped the distys with another one i had and started right up. try to ask a buddy near you to swap and see if the problem leaves.
95probegt17 was last online May 4th, 2012 7:50 pm  
Old May 8th, 2010, 4:48 pm   #4
mcdonn

mcdonn is Male     Hot Topic Group Member NEPO Member
North East Probe Owners 

Vehicle: Red 95 GT (Shinku) Black 96 GT (Dark Maiden) Green 96 SE

mcdonn has a spectacular aura aboutmcdonn has a spectacular aura about

Trader Rating: 8 (100%)

View mcdonn's Garage
Default Starting on a jump box...

Before you do anything else, charge your battery up fully and verify you reconnected the ground between the tranny case and the battery NEG terminal cable.

If the voltage is too low during cranking (slow crank) it may not be seeing enough voltage to actually start the engine. Unlike old cars, you have to power up and operate an ECU. If the ECU boots up when you turn the key on, then reboots as soon as you hit the starter, the car wont start. And unless that charger has a Very Large cap bank in it, once you hit the starter, you are trying to start on 60 to 120 Hz pulse DC - The time between the pulses may be long enough to reset the ECU.
mcdonn was last online Today 4:29 am