Go Back   Performance Probe Forum > Second Generation Probes (1993-1997) > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Ask questions concerning problems with a second generation Probe.

Reply Please read Forum Rules Before Posting

Old January 24th, 2010, 7:44 pm   #1
94PrbGT

94PrbGT is Male     

Vehicle: 1994 Ford Probe GT

94PrbGT is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

View 94PrbGT's Garage
Default 94 GT - Key stuck in ignition

I can start the car, but the key is VERY tight like its bound up inside. When starting I can turn to the start position but have to pull back to on manually, because it wont come back on its own. Can only pull key back to the spot where I would normally push in on the key and pull back one more spot to remove. It stops where I would normally push it in, and wont push in at all.

A friend of mine went to help my wife, because she had the car that day. He got key out, lubed it up and it went in and out fine. Once he turned key though couldnt get it back out again. Right now, I am just turning radio off inside car and keeping doors locked. :P Oh and covering ignition area with a towel if I have to park it anywhere unprotected.

I plan on taking it to a locksmith on Monday, and I purchased a very rough steering column from the salvage yard here in Houston. Its rusted pretty bad, but it has a decent looking lock cylinder. However, there is no key for the salvage part.

An online locksmith told me I needed a new updated side bar free lock cylinder, but I cant find any info on that. And like the rest of you, I now know that Ford has discontinued all the Probe parts

Thanks in advance guys
94PrbGT was last online June 11th, 2013 12:02 am  
Old January 24th, 2010, 7:49 pm   #2
speedracer

speedracer is Male     Hot Topic Group Member NEPO Member
North East Probe Owners 

Vehicle: 89PGT, 03 Cobra, and a 89F-SUPERDUTY wif 460 power

speedracer will become famous soon enoughspeedracer will become famous soon enough

Trader Rating: 16 (100%)

I have a extra column just for that reason... probably your best bet
speedracer was last online August 18th, 2013 11:08 pm  
Old January 25th, 2010, 3:51 am   #3
94PrbGT

94PrbGT is Male     

View 94PrbGT's Garage
Default Can I purchase an aftermarket setup?

Are there any generic cylinders/tumblers I can purchase and outfit to the Probe? Seems like the lock cyclinders are a problem in the Probe, and with discontinued parts and a limited supply of junk yard parts, we are eventually going to have a problem.
Old January 25th, 2010, 5:03 pm   #4
HaggardBlaze

Elite Member

HaggardBlaze is Male     Hot Topic Group Member NEPO Member
North East Probe Owners 

Vehicle: 1997 Ford Probe Base

HaggardBlaze is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 1 (100%)

idk, I would assume that ford wouldnt have designed that just for the probe, chances are that either ford or mazda used the same assembly in other cars. There are plenty of probes down here in omaha. If you cant find one near you I could pull one for you. just pm me about it.

1997 Ford Probe 2.0L ATX, Short Air Ram -- Daily Driver
1990 Land Rover Range Rover Classic 3.9L V8 --My project!

I got diagrams if you need one check em out. Ask me as well and I might have others. If you have some that I don't, feel free to shoot em at me so I can add them.
HaggardBlaze was last online December 7th, 2013 8:12 pm  
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:50 am   #5
94PrbGT

94PrbGT is Male     

View 94PrbGT's Garage

Looks like the Mazda part is the same ignition lock cylinder. The MX6 and the Mazda 626 are the same part as well. I found the part still available at Mazda for $240. I can post the part numbers tomorrow.

I found a Mazda MX6 ignition lock cylinder at a used parts place in Houston. It is set up for an automatic, so the guy told me to remove this lever looking piece and just discard it.

Part I hate, is now I am going to be driving a Ford with a Mazda key LOL. Someone destroyed the lock cylinder in the driver door some time back so now will have a Ford key for driver door, another Ford key for passenger door and hatchback and a Mazda key to start the car. :P
Old January 27th, 2010, 5:26 pm   #6
94PrbGT

94PrbGT is Male     

View 94PrbGT's Garage

Ok, just found out wife had wrong Ford key in the ignition. Now the wrong key is stuck and i can't get it out, but been starting car with it for several days ( Going to take it to locksmith tonight to see if they can get the key out without killing the ignition lock cylinder.
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:14 pm   #7
94PrbGT

94PrbGT is Male     

View 94PrbGT's Garage

Locksmith wouldn't touch it unless I removed the lock cylinder, which is a pain with those tamper proof bolts.

Door key (different Probe lock cylinder) is stuck in ignition. Wont push in to pull back so I can remove the key.

Would pliers and a lubricated key damage the lock cylinder further? I have a fantasy now about getting that key out and being able to still use the correct key in the ignition.

Is there no release on the lock cylinder itself to allow me to get the key out?