Go Back   Performance Probe Forum > Second Generation Probes (1993-1997) > Probe Discussion

Probe Discussion General discussion concerning all second generation Probes. This is not an open topic forum.

Reply Please read Forum Rules Before Posting

Old January 8th, 2007, 11:13 pm   #1
93se20dohc

Elite Member

93se20dohc is Male     Hot Topic Group Member COPOC Member
Colorado Probe Owners Club 

Vehicle: 1993 Ford Probe SE

93se20dohc is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 1 (100%)

View 93se20dohc's Garage
Lightbulb ATX to MTX tips and parts list:

Well, there seems to be quite an interest in this, and as I am finishing up my swap, i figured I would post some stuff here, including pics, as I go along. But for short and now, here is the basic list of goodies needed for the swap. You may want to consider buying a thrashed MTX probe for the swap, as you will pull alot of parts, and prices seem to be better as you buy the whole car as a junker, and can make money back on other parts you dont use!

Keep it within the same year! If you have a 93, go with a 93 MTX, and you can go with a 94 + 95, but in 96 +97, they use OBD II, which wont comply easily with a good swap.

Parts: (MTX)
- Transmission
You will need the whole thing.
- Transmission mounts (front and rear)
MTX has different mounting brackets then the ATX
- Master Brake Cylinder
This has the Clutch fluid resavoir and outlet
- ECU
You will constantly through check engine lights and a wiring nightmare otherwise
- Engine wiring harness
Its pretty simple to swap out the engine harness, take the whole thing!
- Distributor and coil (most MTXs have an external coil
ATX's typically come with an internal coil, and MTXs generally have an external
- Shifter assembly
The shifter bars, shifter, shifter plate on the console
- Clutch pedal assembly
would you believe 2 bolts are all the hold it in place? yeah, take the whole thing, you are gonna need it!
- Clutch line
Dont bend the clutch line from the car you are taking it from, but you need this!
- Flywheel
At this point, its your choice, either go stock and resurface the exsisting flywheel or go upgrade to an aluminum Fizona type. Extra $$, but while you have it apart....
- Radiator (ATX's have the intercooler, which is no longer needed)
You dont want to run around with open ports on the radiator, this is how corrosion and problems later develop.
- Both CV axles (go new, save yourself the headache)
Different tooth count, as well as sizes on a MTX compared to an ATX.
- Starter
ATX Starter has a different bolt pattern then the MTX, as well as shaft length difference!
- Clutch of course!
Your choice again, stock or upgrade!
- MAF sensor
MTX's use a differently callibrated and type MAF then the ATX.

I would also like to say that now is the time to get new seals. THey dont cost much, but why put a transmission in that may have a leaking seal, just to tear it apart later and redo the danged thing. For les then $50, you can get both axles seals, input shaft seal and shifter asembly seal. No leaks!

UPDATE:I said I would add some pics, so here we go...

OK, So I took a couple shots of my "lack" of progress due to work, but finally had time tonight to get some photo's done. I am also including a general "what you will need" photo gallary!

My progress.. And the setting for the manual to go in..

You will need this item for sure! LOL!

This is the type of Master Cylinder I was speaking of.. The fluid leaking at the bottom, is from the Clutch line to Resivior, which is a must have!

Clutch lines! You can go aftermarket as well if you so desire!

The revers component of the Clutch Pedal Assembly (engine compartment side..

The ECU from the MTX donor car.. unless you are going full MS management..

Be carefull removing this from your donor car, but its an must have as well.. and takes time getting it out..

Ohh, yeah. the goodness now!

I was correct about only 2 bolts holding this to the firewall. You will get a kink in your neck unbolting it, but it doesnt take long at all!

More pics to come! I will get some underside shots as well!
COPOC
My Email

Last edited by 93se20dohc; January 11th, 2007 at 4:21 am. Reason: adding pics per request.
93se20dohc was last online June 14th, 2009 4:25 am  
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:13 am   #2
James

Super Moderator

James is Male     Hot Topic Group Member NEPO Member
North East Probe Owners 

Vehicle: 1989 LX, '06 Saab 9-2x

James has a spectacular aura aboutJames has a spectacular aura aboutJames has a spectacular aura about

Trader Rating: 50 (100%)

View James's Garage

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.
- Benjamin Franklin

Failure is not an option. It's a privilege reserved for only those who try.

PP Shirts and Gear 2.2 IM Decals PP Calendar

James was last online Yesterday 4:52 am  
Old January 9th, 2007, 5:07 am   #3
wellsb

Vehicle: 93 Ford Probe GT

wellsb is on a distinguished road

Trader Rating: 0 (0%)

so are you saying that for the 93 you should/can only use the swap from a 93? Im putting in an engine from a 94...if i plan on changin tranny too should i get a 94 then or a 93?
wellsb was last online February 14th, 2007 3:33 am  
Old January 9th, 2007, 3:17 pm   #4
93se20dohc

Elite Member

View 93se20dohc's Garage

If you are swapping out for a 94, you can go 93 or 94 on trans. The biggest issue when doing just a transmission swap, is that there are different components on a 94 as compared to a 93, with the options. Just making sure you keep all your connections for a pain free trouble shoot later on is key. 93+94 are compatible with ECU's connections in a MTX swap out. Its when people start trying to Swap out ATX's on the 93 with a 94 or vice versa. The 93 ATX has an actual trans pan and filter assembly, unlike the 94 which doesnt. The vaccume assembly for the trans is different as well.

Bascially, if you have an ATX, and you are going to swap out for a MTX, make sure you get the same ECU series (OBD I ATX with OBD I MTX, OBD II ATX with OBD II MTX). If you dont, then you will have to collect alot of the sensors from the donor car, in order to swap out on yours. Say for example, you have a 94 ATX, but you want to part out off of a 96 MTX. You will have to pull not only the ECU, and wiring harness, but you will have to collect all the sensors as well (O2, EGR Hook-up, Vaccume modulators, TPS, IAC, and so on) since alot of changes were made on cars that went to OBD II.
COPOC
My Email
Old January 11th, 2007, 4:27 am   #5
93se20dohc

Elite Member

View 93se20dohc's Garage

Pics are up! (bump) lol!
COPOC
My Email
Old July 20th, 2008, 3:21 am   #6
mcdonn

mcdonn is Male     Hot Topic Group Member NEPO Member
North East Probe Owners 

Vehicle: Red 95 GT (Shinku) Black 96 GT (Dark Maiden) Green 96 SE

mcdonn has a spectacular aura aboutmcdonn has a spectacular aura about

Trader Rating: 8 (100%)

View mcdonn's Garage
Default Error 404... Pics are back down.

I can't see em. Doing the same process on a 95 GT so I'd love to see the pics.

You might also want to swap out the crankshaft rear main seal.

Clutch and brake pedal are required anbd both are bolted to the top of the dash with 10mm nuts that fit into a slot on the pedal assys. A real pain in the neck and lower back.

I also rebuilt the clutch cylinders. Worth it, the old ones were working when pulled, but seals were on last legs and the brake fluid was full of rubber bits.

If you need new tubing for the brake resevour to clutch cylinder, go to www.mcmaster.com for tygon 2075 tubing. its clear, costs under $2, and wond shed black crap into your fluid.
mcdonn was last online Yesterday 4:34 am  
Old February 13th, 2009, 8:11 pm   #7
a7x_pgt

a7x_pgt is on a distinguished road

i have a 95 2.5 probe. and i was just lookin under the dash on my 94 pgt. how will the clutch pedle and all that work without the switch on the clutch? i pulled all the wires from the ecu to the engine, but none of them went even on the driver side of the car inside. so do i just not need the clutch switches?
a7x_pgt was last online February 13th, 2009 8:38 pm  
Old February 14th, 2009, 2:10 am   #8
mcdonn

mcdonn is Male     Hot Topic Group Member NEPO Member
North East Probe Owners 

Vehicle: Red 95 GT (Shinku) Black 96 GT (Dark Maiden) Green 96 SE

mcdonn has a spectacular aura aboutmcdonn has a spectacular aura about

Trader Rating: 8 (100%)

View mcdonn's Garage
Default Are the physical switches on your clutch pedal mount?

You will need two switches on the clutch. One is for the key start interlock so that it will only crank with the clutch disengaged. The other is to enable/disable a rev limiter - The clutch switch and "neutral - Park" switch on the tranny are used to put a rev limiter on the engine when the clutch is not in, or the car is in nuteral. This limiter keeps the engine from launching pistons thru the hood when you step on the clutch at 7000 RPM. You can get all the necessary wiring from the existing harness. I am working up a sketch for my 95. I'll post it here when I get a chance to finish it.
mcdonn was last online Yesterday 4:34 am  
Old May 10th, 2009, 3:50 am   #9
latemtech

latemtech is on a distinguished road

Default doing the same thing

Hey, I came across this thread in my search of finding information on atx to mtx swap on my 1996 mazda millenia. I know this is a probe page. I found out ford own like 30% of mazda corp. the klde engine is shared between probe and millenia, also along with mx3, mx6, and maybe a 626. I got a 1996 mx6 mtx, and some clutch part from a mx3. So far i have installed a cold air intake that i got from autozone which work pretty good. I ordered a stainless header off ebay that intended for ford probe. I plan on modifying it to seperate it into 2 cat and muffler, using 2.5 in pipe. ( got the extra cat off a donor car I got for 200 bucks) and install it on my millenia but I rather do that when I swap out the trans. im more concerned about the ecu and the condition of the mtx. I would like to rebuild the mtx with beefier gears but have no idea where to look. I heard a ford probe 2.0l mtx 5th gear is a bit higher and would give better fuel economy than a 2.5l mtx. anyone know if this is right? i will see about posting pictures.
latemtech was last online June 16th, 2009 6:30 pm  
Old March 25th, 2010, 5:35 am   #10
target

target is on a distinguished road

i cant see the pics. im looking to do this to my 96 PGT
target was last online July 8th, 2013 2:25 am