Performance Probe Forum

Performance Probe Forum (http://www.performanceprobe.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maintenance (http://www.performanceprobe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   split (quick) cv boots (http://www.performanceprobe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11402)

Robert 89 PGT July 28th, 2005 4:01 pm

split (quick) cv boots

anyone ever hear of these?? theyre cv boots that are split 2 make installation easier.. heres a link 2 em.. i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about em.. if the split seam seals up, it would be good.. i was changing my oil yesterday and noticed that the passenger side boot is completely ripped.. and the drivers side is a little cracked.. im gonna replace em both, but just wanna kno if it can be made easier by these.. :dunno:

dorman

PTC

Robert 89 PGT July 28th, 2005 4:02 pm

it seems 2 me that the dorman would be the better choice caus the rubber seals 2gether (they say weld, but w/e)..

chino9656 July 28th, 2005 4:05 pm

yea, the dorman. As long as it seals, you should be fine. When I was getting my CV boots replaced last summer, the shop told me they would do those and it would be cheaper, or I could get the normal ones. I chose the normal ones, but I'm sure the split cv's would be fine. and definitely save you some time and $$ and trouble.

shard phoenix July 28th, 2005 6:19 pm

if you have time to do it the right way, its a lot better. But the doorman ones will hold up for a year or two usually.

Robert 89 PGT July 28th, 2005 7:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shard phoenix
if you have time to do it the right way, its a lot better. But the doorman ones will hold up for a year or two usually.

hmm.. that sucks.. i have time.. ill just do the normals..

thanks guys..

dj_1784 July 28th, 2005 9:37 pm

dont do it. i recommend the full boot or axle replacement. split boots suck, they always leak and cause more of a problem.

Marcot1 July 28th, 2005 9:40 pm

I put on one of the generic split boots when I found mine was torn before heading from Chicago to Knoxville, TN. I'm sure I put it on properly but it had started to come apart by the end of the trip (600 miles or so).

Robert 89 PGT July 28th, 2005 9:41 pm

ok.. thats the kind of responses i wanted.. wen i replace em, ill replace the whole cv joint.. as it is, i dont kno if theyve been done before.. so ill just do it once and for all.. thanks again..

Paul July 29th, 2005 4:36 am

yep, don't waste your time with them Robert.

michaelknight July 29th, 2005 4:41 am

split boots suck. also each boot is $20? x2 =$40. Reman axle =$80
________
EXTREME VAPORIZER

James July 29th, 2005 5:00 am

I'd just replace the entire axles... but you already said that. :nervous:

funxman July 29th, 2005 5:13 am

BUMMER, I got one of those blue things sitting on the counter waiting to be put on. The last boot I replaced, I had to remove the entire axle and disassemble the cv joints from the inner out, what a mess.. I told myself I would just put in another alxle before I did that again.. I'm gonna try the split boot anyways since I have it and all I got to do it put it on and get down the road. Yeah Rob, if you got time, do it good. :)

funxman August 5th, 2005 5:28 am

Its on. 90 mph and it hasn't exploded yet.. :D

mcdonn August 7th, 2005 8:45 pm

For a qiock repait theyre great.

I have tried 'normal' replacement boots, glued quick-boots, and the bolt-together shit. Straight shit is this:

Best to get a complete half-axle - Takes a little time to swap out.

Second best is Dorman split boot that gets solvent welded together. I have on of these on my right outer right now. Has 6000 miles on it with no signs of any problem. Takes time tio get joint properly cleaned for relube, and boot MUST BE GREASE FREE before solvent welding I wiped out the groove and spline on mine with lacquer solvent before 'welding', then repacked joint with new lube. This was done to keep on the road until a replacement axle arrived. Have the axle, but have not needed to install it yet. I might put it on the opposite side and order a second axle for later.

I do not recommend the bolt-together boot as they rip themaselves apart real fast (200 miles), and leak grease constantly!

If you have a relativle low milage axle with a boot that was cut by road crap, I would consider a 'normal' boot. Otherwise I would slap a solvent weld quick boot on it (keep one in the spare parts stock) until you can get a replacement half axle and the down-time required to install it.